Total Pageviews

Monday 23 November 2009

A Cut Above The Rest !

Well what can I say; this reflects the danger of using a Stanley knife at home without paying attention.

What was I doing you may ask?

Well I was cutting some wood with the plan to snap it off once I had placed a cut along the edge.

Why did I not use my small saw? The answer was simple I have just moved and I did not have it easy to hand.

What happened?

Wile cutting along a piece of wood the knife followed the grain of the wood and slipped out of the cutting path. In the blink of an eye I had managed to cut the end of my left hand thumb off.

Shit if only I had done a RISK Assessment!

To be honest it hurt no more than a deep cut on your finger but it bleeds a lot more!!

I rapped it in clean tea towel and applied preasure, passed the cut off end of my thumb to my wife and asked her to place it in a bag of cold water as we had no ice (Dam iceless freezers).

She very kindly drove me over to Stafford A&E for treatment wile I kept firm pressure on my thumb.

They could not attach the missing part as it was not large enough but the injury had cut a small vain and the hospital was struggling to stop it bleeding.

They wanted to keep me in over night due to the bleeding, but I declined the offer and decided to opt for the huge tight bandage and a revisit to the orthopaedic ward next morning.

It is now bandaged up and sore, It was totally my fault. Guess I will give the knife a little more respect in the future.


Pic Ref 18/11/2009



No comments: